Leslie's special guest on this episode is Sheila Gregoire, author of "She Deserves Better" and "The Great Sex Rescue." Together Sheila and Leslie delve into debunking harmful stereotypes and fostering meaningful connections with your daughters.
Segment 1: Harmful Beliefs About Girls and Their Consequences:
- Sheila discusses (and debunks) the damaging belief that girls talk excessively and its adverse effects on their lives.
- Explore the potential consequences of buying into this stereotype, including the risk of marrying an abuser.
Segment 2: Nurturing Healthy Communication with Daughters:
- Sheila underscores the significance of parents actively listening to their daughters and allowing them to have a voice.
- Encourage ongoing and open dialogues, with an emphasis that parents need not be perfect in these conversations.
- Parents are encouraged to teach their children the art of respectful disagreement and independent thinking.
Segment 3: Impact of Toxic Relationships on Parenting:
- How toxic relationships, particularly abusive marriages, affect parenting.
- Sheila emphasizes the importance of recognizing and breaking free from authoritarian and harmful patterns in one's life.
- Parents are urged to treat their sons and daughters equitably, imparting values of mutual respect and shared responsibilities.
- Delve into setting boundaries and recognizing red flags in relationships.
Segment 4: Parenting Daughters in Healthy Relationships and Non-Negotiables:
- Sheila offers valuable advice on parenting daughters and identifies non-negotiables.
- Emphasize that daughters should not be instrumentalized to make parents look good but should be recognized as unique individuals.
- Encourage parents to provide guidance, maintain open conversations, and embrace imperfections.
Register for Leslie's free workshop on October 5th, 2023: "If He Doesn't Hit You Is It Still Abuse?" www.leslievernick.com/freetraining
Leslie's website: www.leslievernick.com
Sheila Gregoire's website: www.sheilawraygregoire.com
Sheila's podcast: Bare Marriage (formerly "To Love, Honor and Vacuum"):